Mission and Goals of the Center
The CEHT will foster and facilitate interactions between a number of related activities within the Brown community, including the Program in Public Health, the Division of Biology and Medicine, and the new School of Engineering. The Center is also active in seeking interaction with the Environmental Change Initiative (ECI), the Center for Environmental Studies (CES) and the Marine Biological Laboratories at Woods Hole. Specific goals include:
- Development of a Environmental Health Section within the Department of Epidemiology in the emerging Brown University School of Public Health. Going forward, CEHT will further support faculty recruitment, facilitate teaching and grow the field such that the Brown University School of Public Health is a recognized leader in this cornerstone discipline.
- Encourage the integration and unification of Environmental Health across the entire Brown campus, including multiple Departments (e.g. civil engineering, community health, geology, pathology & lab medicine, sociology), and the Marine Biological Laboratory as well as the previously noted Center for Environmental Studies and the Environmental Change Initiative.
- Develop and enlarge the research and training base in translational science.
- Further development of significant grant funding that supports research in environmental health across the University and Hospitals by competing for funding that broadly catalyzes these efforts, and sharing funds via pilot project support.
- Engage in effective Community Outreach to communicate the potential health hazards and to guide the development of plans for the appropriate remediation and reuse of contaminated sites, assuring continued economic development and job growth within our densely populated urban and suburban centers.